Any time New Yorkers need to step back, rewind, and enjoy a relaxing and calming breather, Sunset Bay Beach is always the destination that promises to heal and pamper in a way nothing else can. Located just south of Buffalo, NY.
Hence, if you, too, need to remove yourself from your hectic everyday routine, or you wish to enjoy a memorable and safe weekend with your lover or family members, we advise you to pack your slippers and bikinis and head out to Lake Erie’s Sunset Bay Beach.
Keep reading to learn more about Sunset Bay Beach’s history, geology, and local wildlife.
History Behind It
Known for its beautiful sandy beaches, clean environment, and calming ambiance, the five-acre Sunset Bay Beach is South Buffalo, New York’s, hidden gem.
Located along the famous Lake Erie shores, Sunset Bay’s history is something a first-time traveler is always eager to learn about.
According to archeologists, Sunset Bay Beach used to be a part of a rich and sandy delta almost a million years ago. With thousands of layers of marine deposits, sand, and silt stacked on each other, Sunset Bay Beach has beautiful sedimentary rocks and a unique landscape.
Over time, when the Pacific tectonic plate got tilted upwards as it slammed and plummeted under the North American continent, the previously flat layer of rocks moved, and eventually got shaped into mesmerizing natural sculptures as strong winds, storms, and salty waves crashed into them.
Today, the Sunset Bay Beach is treasured for its rich history and undeniable terranean beauty.
As mentioned above, Lake Erie’s Sunset Bay is a popular tourist destination for its range of unique and naturally sculpted sedimentary rocks, uneven landscape, and golden sandy beach.
Known as a geological wonderland, Sunset Bay Beach’s unique terrain is no less than a historical monument that mother nature designed and carved by itself.
Apart from the uneven rocky landscape, many sedimentary rocks also stretch out along the beach, creating a naturally crafted path for visitors, animals, and anyone else that wishes to explore the beach on foot.
Moreover, although it is not a natural geological characteristic; however, Buffalo’s Sunset Bay Beach is also loved for its sea glass pebbles.
Found in baby blue, light yellow, and deep green colors, these glass pebbles are always something a first-time traveler is thrilled to witness and collect. S
If you want to envision what Sunset Bay Beach may sound like, close your eyes and try to imagine the soft sounds of Seagulls against the calming rhythm of the crashing waves.
Apart from seagulls, the Sunset Bay Beach is also home to a wide variety of other aquatic animals and wildlife. Perhaps the best way to experience Sunset Bay’s aquatic wilderness is by visiting the local Sunset Bay State Marine Park, located at Cattaraugus Creek, right next to Lake Erie.
A tourist can book a tour on the spot or make a reservation by calling the local number mentioned on their website. Doing so will allow you the opportunity to experience the wildlife from a well-constructed and safe boat, and you can even swim along with them when the weather is relatively clear.
Perhaps one of the biggest fish that you might have the chance to see or even catch is the Lake Sturgeon fish. However, if you plan on getting in the waters, it is important that you keep an eye out for piranhas that might possibly turn up periodically.
Hence, if you are someone who enjoys connecting with nature and experiencing wildlife in their natural habitats, make sure you take out the time to visit New York’s Sunset Bay Beach this year.
However, Buffalo’s Sunset Bay Beach has much more to offer its guests apart from its beautiful wildlife and the rocky natural sculptures.
Keep reading to learn more about what you can do when visiting New York’s scenic Sunset Bay Beach.
Things to do
Wondering if Sunset Bay Beach is the right destination for you?
Worry no more, as this gem of a beach, located along the Lake Erie shores, has something in store for almost everyone.
Hence, if you plan to visit the Sunset Bay Beach, here is a list of the top things you can do there during your vacation:
- If you are planning on visiting the Sunset Bay Beach with your siblings, friends or colleagues, you can enjoy your time playing volleyball at the courts built on the sandy beaches.
- Moreover, if you are someone who wishes to enjoy a great dining experience, know that the food served at Sunset Bay Beach’s waterfront restaurants is simply immaculate. Sunset Bay USA is one of the most visited.
- From crispy crab fingers to deep fried fish sandwiches, the extensive menu at these restaurants and bars will offer you nothing less than the authentic taste of the lake.
- Moreover, the Sunset Bay Beach is also an excellent location for people who love music, dancing, delicious tropical drinks, and an uplifting ambiance.
- Hence, if you want to create memories that last a lifetime, visit the Sunset Bay Beach Club, which is one of the most popular nightclubs in Western New York.
- Apart from its excellent music, played by a top DJ, the snacks, and overall ambiance of the nightclub is worth experiencing at least once in a lifetime.
- Furthermore, Sunset Bay Beach also has several ice-cream shops, a small shopping area for T-shirts and souvenirs, and a fun video game arcade.
How Can You Get to this Beach?
No matter if you live in Western New York or any other place in the USA, planning a trip to Sunset Bay Beach should be no problem at all.
This natural gem is located just 40 minutes away from South Buffalo, New York. Moreover, you can also rent a place to live, and to also select and pre-book any recreational activities or tours you plan to be a part of during your stay.